Last week I was in the city for a customer onsite. Before heading back to the South Bay, I decided to stop by LaLanne Fitness, which was the closest CrossFit gym to where I was at. I've been meaning to stop here a few times in the past, but plans fell through. However, I do remember what was common across all visit attempts: they were all deadlift days!
I came in for a class last Thursday with Scott. This is what we class did:
- Warm-up: 3 rounds: 15 air squats, 8 cartwheels, 5 bridges. Deadlift review.
- Strength: Deadlift: 5x3
- 3 rounds for time:
- 20 Deadlifts 185#/115#
- 20 Pull Ups
- 20 Wall Ball Shots 20#/14# to 10'/9' target
Some things I really liked here:
- Large, beautiful facility. There are high ceilings and lots of skylights. I think it is approximately 10,000sqft... which is large for a CrossFit gym, but HUGEEE for being located in the city. Plenty of usable space. There's even a set of large garage doors that open up to a back alley for running. The only caveat here is the neighborhood can get a little sketchy. You have to ring a doorbell to get in.
- Loaded with a variety of equipment. In addition to the typical set of CrossFit equipment, they also have: tires, reverse hypers, large mats, sleds, and even plates down to 0.25#. Equipment is well organized.
- Timely classes. Classes start and end on time. I also like how the class did the strength component of the workout together. Scott also gave everyone some helpful suggestions during the class.
- Great community. Everyone treated me like one of the group.
- Monthly programming available in advance... and also easy access to previous months programming.
- X's on the floor. Great for ensuring safety in a crowded classes.
- Paleo foods for sale, and StrongTable pickup location.
- Clean bathrooms.
Some things that could use improvement:
- $25 drop in fee. No, you cannot waive the fee with a shirt or by purchasing a shirt.
- No dropping weights... at least not until they fix the walls and/or floors to be more sound proof.
- No water fountain.
3. View of opposite end.