I was in the city last weekend so I decided to stop at the nearest CrossFit gym, CrossFit Golden Gate. CrossFit Golden Gate is a new-ish gym in SOMA. They just hit their one year anniversary last month.
I dropped in for their 6pm class last Friday with Victor. This is what we did:
- Warm-up: 3 rounds, 30s at each station: jumping jack, air squat, burpee, push up, scorpion
- Strength: 5 rounds not for time (70%, 70%, 75%, 75%, 75%):
- 1 Power Snatch
- 1 Hang Snatch
- 1 Snatch
- Workout: 12min EMOM:
- Odd minute: 16 1-arm DB Snatches
- Even minute: 35 DU
Some things I really liked here:
- Looks like a garage gym. Three garage doors, high ceilings, and lots of light. It may be small compared to other CF gyms, but the space is well used and the surface is flat and even.
- Located near public transportation. BART, muni, Golden Gate CF is pretty easy to get to.
- Free parking. They have a lot next to the gym with parking! Pretty rare for the city!
- Variety of equipments: tires, ropes, weighted vests, sleds, prowlers, benches, dip station.
- CLEAN CF gym: from the floors, to the equipment, to the barbells.
- Strength + metcon component on weekdays. From lifting heavy to gymnastic movements, I like how part of the class time is focused on strength and technique work.
- Sweet community. Friendly, outgoing crew. They don't leave the last person behind. People help each other clean up after the workout.
Some things that could use improvement:
- $25/visit. You cannot buy a shirt in exchange.
- No water fountain.
- More weights. 15# bumpers would be cool too.
Overall, nice group of people. I'll probably be back here since I have friends who are members here and since it's pretty convenient.