While in Chicago for work, I decided to check out River North CrossFit, the closest CrossFit gym to my hotel and one of the few CrossFit gyms actually located in downtown Chicago.
I did the 6am class on Friday with DJ. This is what we did:
- Warm-up: 400m run, run backwards, skip, walking lunges, high kicks, butt kickers, leg stretch, arm circles
- Strength: Good Mornings 3x10
- Workout: 5 rounds for time:
- 10 Pull Ups
- 20 KBS 1.5/1pood
- 20 Push Ups
- 20 Walking Lunges
- 200m Run
- Post Workout: 4 rounds: 1min plank, 30s rest
Some things I really liked here:
- Nice, organized, Reebok-ed out CrossFit gym. Super clean and well lit. They even have towel service.
- MANY class times. They are literally open all day long. Every hour on the hour from 5am - 8pm, weekdays. Saturday's 7am-2pm, on the hour. Sunday's: 10-2pm. So convenient!
- Open gym format everyday. You can do your own stuff, whenever you want.
- Prime River North location in downtown Chicago. Also directed to the type of people who live there. For example they have a program called "Skinny Fit", where you just do body weight movements and not lift any weights.
- Store. Not just for clothing, but also Reebok gear, and FOOD. You can pre-order your Paleo meals (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and pick it up at the gym. They even have a microwave.
- Multiple water fountains.
- $25 drop in (comes with a free shirt)
Some things that could use improvement:
- Not allowed to drop barbell the rubber. They use cushioned mats for the weights.
- Most expensive CrossFit gym in the Chicago area. Convenience comes at a price.
Very pretty gym and definitely very convenient for travelers and those who work in downtown Chicago. Since they have classes all day on the hour, time is not an excuse!