I've been traveling almost every week this month. Last weekend I was in Toronto, Canada. Taking a light week after American's and in preparation for all the food damage to come, we dropped in at CrossFit Metric for a workout.
We joined the 9:30am heat for the classic 12 Days of Christmas workout. After all the heats have gone, there was a Christmas potluck. This is what we did:
- Warm Up: on your own
- Workout: CrossFit Metric 12 Days of Christmas: Do 1, then 1 and 2, then 1, 2, 3, and so forth until you hit 12, like the song. 20 minute time cap. For time:
- 1 Power Clean 135#/95#
- 2 HSPU
- 3 KB SDHP 16/12kg
- 4 Pistols, alternating
- 5 KBS 16/12kg
- 6 Burpees
- 7 Pull Ups
- 8 Overhead Walking Lunges 25/10# plate
- 9 Push Ups
- 10 Box Jumps 24"/20"
- 11 Toes to Bar
- 12 Deadlifts 135#/95#
Some things I really liked here:
- Rogue outfitted gym, from the rig to the platforms, to the even the wall ball targets. The gym is also so clean that everything looks almost brand new! I also like how the gym is well lit.
- Thoughtful programming. The coaches try out the workout before programming it to the gym and adjust as needed. The 12 days of Christmas workout could have easily been an hour-long workout.
- Great coaching. Movement standards, do's and don'ts, and scaling options were presented before the workout. During the workout, there were multiple coaches watching people's movements and motivating them to push through. The energy in the room was through the roof!
- Solid community. Friendly members and a lot who came in early to judge a friend and stayed late for the potluck. If they weren't working out or judging, they were cheering others on.
- Variety of equipment: prowlers, ropes, matadors, kilo plates, fractional plates in kilos and pounds, benches, platforms, soft boxes, etc.
- Basically open all day, and even on Sunday's! Check out the schedule!
- Long Open Gym hours. 6 hours of open gym time every weekday!
- Cold water fountain.
- Clean showers, bathrooms, and changing area. I believe they also have towel service.
- Freshly-made smoothies bar. I didn't get a chance to try any but the Strawberry and Cleans looks good.
- Visitor friendly :)
Some things that could use improvement:
- More usable space. Though the atmosphere was great, it got quite crammy. I had to double check every time I got into a handstand or got down for a burpee to make sure I wasn't going to hit someone or get hit!