Before heading to the airport back to Bay Area, I decided to visit one more CrossFit gym in Tempe: Free Range CrossFit. It was nice to have a large selection of CrossFit gyms to visit.
I went to the 6am class on Friday with Lucas. The emphasis was on deadlifts, my favorite thing, hah. It's cool though, as the class was high energy. The workout was a quick burner, targeting my two weakest movements.
- Warm-up: Tabata intervals for: jump rope, air squats, push ups, V ups, DU; hamstring mobility, Deadlift review
- Strength: 4x5 Deadlift 245#/185#, 10 Hallow Rocks in between each set. Rest 3min.
- For time:
- 5 Deadlifts 225#/155#
- 10 Chest-to-Bar Pull Ups
- 4 Deadlifts 225#/155#
- 8 Chest-to-Bar Pull Ups
- 1 Deadlift 225#/155#
- 2 Chest-to-Bar Pull Ups
Some things I really liked here:
- Conveniently located near ASU and the airport.
- The trainers and class quality. Lucas is great! He's very knowledgable in both CrossFit and nutrition. His class was very energetic and lively. He watches your movement, makes sure you're moving safely and to standard, gives great feedback, and pushes you.
- Upbeat, fun, competitive, and encouraging atmosphere. It's more than just loud music. People really care about your development. Lucas made rounds and gave great pointers. People worked together during the strength portion and watched each other lift. After finishing the workout and before cleaning up, people stuck around to cheer on their peers. The camaraderie is just great.
- The community!! Super friendly, tight group of people who are really fun to be around. Even though I was just visiting, I felt like I was part of the group. We even hung out afterwards and worked on pull ups.
- Variety of equipment, all new or very well-kept. Rogue outfitted and organized. Labeled weights and barbells. They also have some different equipments like a log, atlas stone, rope, prowlers, tires, etc.
- Barbell Club. They also have some sweet platforms and jerk boxes. On Thursday's they have barbell club classes all day.
- Open gym. They are open all day except between 1pm - 4pm.
- Clean showers and bathrooms.
- Visitor friendly. Free drop in :)
Some things that could use improvement:
- A large sign outside the gym.
- CrossFit classes on Thursday's.
If I didn't have a flight to catch, I would have stayed longer after class, as most of them were still there. Working on things you suck at, post class, with a big group of people is a lot of fun. Love the camaraderie of the gym. If you're near the PHX airport or in Tempe, be sure to check out Free Range CrossFit!
Nearby Gyms: CrossFit South West