Last weekend I went up to Napa to celebrate my birthday! We usually go up to Napa all the time but are too busy drinking and eating to squeeze a workout in. This time we had plans to eat at the Meadowood. To avoid Friday night traffic, to feel good about our meal, and to distract us from stuffing our faces before eating at a 3 Michelin star restaurant, we decided to drop in for a workout at 100 Proof CrossFit, also known as Franco Fitness! We had an awesome experience ther and it was just what we needed to kickoff the weekend of epic eating and drinking!
We did the 4pm class with Chuy right before heading back to our hotel to shower and head out for dinner. The workout was the CrossFit Games Open final workout, 14.5. I thought I was going to get away with not doing any of the open workouts this year =P
- Warm Up
- 10min, alternating with a partner: 250m row, jump rope
- 5min, alternating with a partner: 10 KBS 16kg/12kg
- Shoulder Mobility
- Workout: CrossFit Games Open 14.5: 21-18-15-12-9-6-3:
- Thrusters 95#/65#
- Bar-facing Burpees
Some things I really liked here:
- The head coach and owner, Ignacio Franco! You can just tell from meeting him that he's so passionate at what he does. He's also very knowledgable not just in CrossFit and fitness, but also nutrition. He can also properly accommodate any client in any shape or age. He told me about his 72 year old client, what he programs for her, and all the progress she's making. He genuinely cares very much about the success of his clients and getting them to where they want to be. To top it all off, he's good at getting folks engaged and excited for the workout.
- Large usable space, with garage doors, lots of light, and high ceilings... and rings hung from the high ceilings. Nice!
- Personal. In addition to offering personal training, which seems to be a very popular option, the group classes were also very personal. A lot of attention and a lot of great feedback whether it's on the workout or just getting one through it.
- Great coaching and class. Some pointers here and there from the warm up to the workout and of course lots of encouragement! Also coaches who are eager to learn more. I had a great talk with Chuy about the snatch after class.
- Variety of equipment: prowlers, ropes, benches, yoke, log, tires, parallettes, matador, etc. They've got A LOT of different equipment
- Location! They are less than a mile away from downtown Napa!
- Drop in: $20 or make a friend :). Just contact in advance. Also a great gym to drop in for if you have your own programming. They've got a lot of space and are super accommodating.
Some things that could use improvement:
- More classes on Wednesday and maybe one on Saturday?
Absolutely loved my visit here! If you're in Napa Valley for some wine or decide to move to Napa for the wine, I highly recommend checking out Franco Fitness or 100 Proof CrossFit. They do and deliver on what they're good at. Franco and team can truly and properly accommodate anyone regardless of age or fitness level. The gym's got a great vibe and a lot of great people. What more can you ask for?