I was in Sonoma County last weekend so we decided to drop in for a class at CrossFit Santa Rosa. I am glad I finally made it in! I have been in Sonoma a few times this summer and wanted to stop by but failed. Turns out, Joanna, one of the ladies in my squad at Occupy Strength, owns CrossFit Santa Rosa!
We came in for the noon class last Friday with Brandon. The class was really small... like three people. I don't know if it was an off day or if noon is just an unpopular class time. Regardless, I had fun and this is what the class did:
- Warm-up: 400m run/row; 2 rounds: 10 burpees, 10 jumping air squats, 10 stripper stretch, 10 pushups, 15s handstand hold; mobility
- Strength: Build up to a heavy 3RM front squat
- 12 rounds for time:
- 10 DB Squat Clean to Thruster (unbroken)
- Shuttle Run
- 3 Burpees
- 1min rest
- Birthday burpees for Mary (she turned 28!)
Some things I really liked here:
- Sweet facility! High ceilings, HIGH RINGS, high ropes, and large USABLE space. It is also very cool and bright inside, and very clean. There is a nice feel to the location. They also have multiple garage doors.
- Large variety of equipment and also in high quantities. They have at least six high ropes, a lot of lifting platforms and accessories, crash mats, tires, etc. Their equipment is also very neatly organized, labeled, and easy to find.
- Open gym! I think the gym is pretty much open day. I got there early and they were totally cool with us doing our own stuff if we wanted to before and after the class.
- Oly Classes. CF Santa Rosa is also a member of PWA. So you know you don't have to lift as "unaffiliated" at USAW meets. In fact, Joanna was one of the judges at the Redwood oly meet I competed in.
- Many supplemental classes. In addition to CrossFit classes, they offer strength classes, Olympic lifting classes, open gym, mobility classes, track WOD and swim camp.
- Wall-to-wall whiteboards. Two sides of the gym are covered with whiteboards. WOD board for CrossFit and Oly, WOD board recapping past few days, PR's, benchmarks, competitions, announcements, events, members, community, etc. I'm not sure what they don't have! It keeps people updated, is motivating, and gives the gym a nice look. But most importantly, I feel like I got a good sense of the tight community.
Some things that could use improvement:
- Ability to browse through previous days workouts on the website.
3. Lounge area / bathroom. Beautiful high ceilings.
Love coming up to Sonoma for food and wine! I'd feel a lot better if I got a few workouts in before going ape shit on food. Speaking of food, my favorite restaurant, Cyrus is closing next month, and they will be serving a menu of their 'Greatest Hits' over the past seven years! TIME FOR ANOTHER TRIP! I'll be back and hopefully next time I can catch a class with Joanna coaching!